🏰 Anglican Cemetery
In 1840 Mr. Henry and Mrs. Elizabeth Stisted obtained permission from the Prince of Lucca Carlo Lodovico di Borbone Parma to build an Anglican Church and a Cemetery for the British community in Bagni di Lucca.
The small Cemetery of about 1800 square metres, opened in 1842 and is now abandoned. It was divided into different areas: 46 first-class spaces; 260 second-class spaces; and 84 third-class spaces. For children there were 25 second-class spaces and 12 third-class ones. It could, therefore, host 427 burials, 225 on the right side and 202 on the left.
In the Cemetery there are currently the graves of 139 people whose names can all be obtained from documents now preserved in the Historical Archives of the Municipality, but some also from the tombstones. Many graves are no longer visible.
The original layout is still quite recognizable in its basic forms. Immediately after the gate a short flight of steps leads to the central path that goes slightly uphill towards the Chapel used for funerals. About two thirds of the way to the Chapel another path crosses the middle one to form a Christian cross.
The semi-circular paths that started at the height of the stairs are no longer visible and were originally connected to the paths that went through the walls and led to smaller paths to access individual graves.
he Chapel for funerals was restored, along with its essential furnishings, in 2003 thanks to a grant from the Rotary Club of Lucca. It has a neo-Gothic shape and inside there is a simple altar-pulpit and a catafalque, both in neo-Gothic style.
Not all those who are buried here died in Bagni di Lucca, but had expressed their desire to be buried here in their will or had told relatives or friends of this wish. This shows that the English Community of Bagni di Lucca, with its Anglican Church and Cemetery, was a point of reference for the English who lived in nearby towns such as Lucca, Pisa, Livorno, but also in Rome and abroad.
The Cemetery, which belongs to the City Council, has been administered by the Michel de Montaigne Foundation and by the Bagni di Lucca Section of the Lucchese Historical Institute since 2012.
Significant interventions have been made during their administration, all of which aim to restore dignity to this place rich in historical and artistic memories.
Thanks to the intervention of the Lions Club of Garfagnana and of the Versilia Lunigiana and Garfagnana Credito Cooperativo Bank, in 2012 cypress trees were planted along the perimeter fence.
The Montaigne Foundation planted cypress trees along the central lane and the side lane, as well as next to the Chapel.
Also in 2012 the restoration of memorials began and the Pisani Family Chapel was made safe.
To date, 22 funeral monuments have been restored and about 15 tombs with serious structural instability have been reconstructed.
These interventions were made possible thanks to the specific contributions of the Banca del Monte di Lucca Foundation and, above all, private citizens.