⛪ San Silvestro Church
Once we arrive at the modest churchyard of the church, which is nothing more than the rectory’s courtyard, we find ourselves in front of the harmonious façade of the parish church. In the centre of the beautiful architrave above the entrance door we can see the IHS monogram, enclosed by a crown of plants with two fluttering ribbons with the coat of arms of the community of Vitiana on one side and the coat of arms of the city of Lucca on the other: almost to confirm the close link that these places have always had with the city of Lucca.
Below, on the central panels of the entrance door, there is a bas-relief of San Silvestro Papa on the right-hand side and, on the left-hand side, a person with a palm branch in his left hand. We do not know who this character is but, in a document of 14 March 1487, a renunciation to collation, there is the Vitiana church “of Saints Silvestro and Sisto”.
It is therefore presumable that this unknown figure, depicted on the left-hand side, is San Sisto. The interior of the church, currently with three naves, is well kept. There are three altars: the right-hand altar is dedicated to the Holy Sacrament; the altar on the left is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary; and the central altar. Above the entrance door there is the organ that was built in the years 1797-1798.
There is also a beautiful white marble holy-water stoup bearing the date of 1708 and a stone one bearing the date of 1756. Of the interior furnishings of the church, except from the organ, little is known, given that few books have been written on the subject. The beautiful wooden full-sized statue, next to the main altar, comes from the old church of San Pantaleone and probably represents this saint. The marble altar was rebuilt in the period between 1 July 1846 and June 1847.