⛪ Santa Maria Assunta Church
The origins of this parish church date back to the 13th century. Evidence of this lies in various stone fragments, walled on the façade and on the left side of the church, together with a plaque on which is inscribed, among other things, the year 1277.
The present appearance of the church is the result of the last substantial interventions that took place between 1841 and 1849. The interior of the church has three naves divided by round arches resting on Tuscan-style columns and the central nave is characterized by a fine carved walnut stained wooden ceiling painted with oil.
The side aisles have normal cruise vaults. The main altar is a fine example of 18th-century baroque, curved on the sides, and embellished with various colours of marble, along with the ciborium. To the right of the main altar is the altar of the Company of the Blessed Sacrament. The painting above this altar represents the Last Supper. Above the main altar, in the centre of the church, there is a painted panel the so called Berlinghieri Cross, without a doubt the most valuable object in this church. It is attributed by some scholars to one of Berlinghiero Berlinghieri’s sons, while others, more cautiously, attribute it to the Berlinghiero school. It shoes an image of the crucified Christ.
Continuing to the left, there is the altar of Sant’Antonio Abate with a valuable painting attributed to a famous Sienese painter, whose name we do not know. Our Lady of Mount Carmel stands with Sant’Antonio kneeling on her right and Mary Magdalen standing on her left. In the last section of the nave, near the door, there is an imposing stone baptismal font with the date 1632. The architrave has an inscription with the Latin motto: “HEC LUIT UNDA LUES PANDIT AD ASTRA VIAM”.
The baptismal font contains two baths: the largest is used to hold the holy water, while in the smaller one there is only the water that is used for the rite of baptism. Between the baptismal font and the altar of Sant’Antonio there is an exquisite wooden statue representing an announcing angel and in the opposite aisle another wooden statue representing the Most Holy Annunciation. Equally beautiful is the gilded wooden statue that represents the Madonna and Child, dated to the 14th century, but possibly even earlier.
At the end of the church, above the door, there is the organ built in 1851 by the Lucca organ-maker Paolino Bertolucci. Leaning against the fourth column of the central nave, on the right, there is the beautiful pulpit in walnut wood with carved octagonal mirrors, built in 1865. Under the floor of the church, on the east side, there is the oratory of the Blessed Sacrament. In front of the church there is the oratory of the Visitation.
The present bell tower, equipped with four bells, stands at a certain distance from the church and at a higher point and it seems to be built over the remains of the ancient tower of the fortress. In Tereglio there are many monograms with the name of Jesus that adorn the beautiful doors of the houses that wind along the main street of the village. This custom was begun in the 15th century by San Bernardino of Siena. One in particular, placed on the southern façade of the bell tower, above the entrance door, has the IHS monogram surrounded by a series of rays - 48 including 12 serpentine rays.