⛪ San Martino Parish Church
This building no longer has its original shape and, looking at it today, it offers us a complex sequence of constructive phases.The central nucleus of this church may date back to 9th century. It is divided into three naves. The arches are supported by cylindrical pillars on which rest cubic capitals, a kind of fusion of a cube and a sphere. These capitals and pillars are sombrely elegant in bare stone.
No traces remain today of the medieval bell tower. Some historians believe that it was damaged during the siege of Coreglia by the Lucca troops commanded by Castruccio Castracani of Antelminelli in the early 1300s.
The Pastoral Visit to the diocese of Loppia, from 12 to 23 June 1467, is one of the first documents that provides us interesting information on the religious buildings of the area. This church was not in good condition: rain water was leaking inside, the entrance door was definitely poorly placed and the cemetery needed restoration.
The architrave in sandstone that overlooks the presbyterial door is, without doubt, very ancient. It is decorated with three spirals and a dove resting on a basic square fence. The decoration of the apse appears more elaborate and complex than the other façades and, given its state of preservation, it seems to have been added after. A saw-tooth frame divides the apse horizontally, while vertically the apse is divided by half-columns that highlight the oblong windows.